Have you ever been bored or uninspired while trying to make a nutritionally sound meal? Check out or Recipe corner for great tips on how to turn basic meals into delicious entrees.
- 3/4 pound of turkey or chicken breakfast sausage
- 1/8 cup minced onion
- 1/8 cup minced green bell pepper
- 3 whites and 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional – ¼ cup of minced apple
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, combine sausage, onion and green pepper. Cook until sausage is evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- Evenly distribute sausage mixture between the cups. Mix together the eggs and milk, and divide between the cups. Sprinkle tops with shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until filling is set.
*Season with sage, black or white pepper, a dash of sea salt and garlic*
Tasty Italian Chicken Breast
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, divided
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon parsley and 1 teaspoon basil evenly over the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange chicken breast halves in the dish, and sprinkle evenly with garlic slices. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 2 teaspoons parsley, remaining 2 teaspoons basil, salt, pepper, oregano and red pepper; sprinkle over the chicken. Top with tomato slices.
- Bake covered in the preheated oven 25 minutes. Remove cover, and continue baking 15 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear.
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon nonfat or 1% milk
- 4 scallions sliced
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 large English cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
Process the cottage cheese and milk in a food processor until smooth. Add the scallions, salmon, cream cheese, lemon juice and a pinch of white pepper and process until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
Cut the cucumbers into 3/4-inch-thick rounds, discarding the ends. Using a small spoon, scoop the seeds and some of the flesh out of each round to form a small cup. Fill each cup with about 2 teaspoons of the salmon whip and sprinkle with the chives. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 1 hour.
Mediterranean Couscous and Shrimp
- 1 Cup of Mediterranean Couscous
- ¼ cup or raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup of Honey Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- ½ teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup of Juice of a lemon
Preheat the broiler to high. Combine the couscous, raisins and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a bowl. Add 1 1/4 cups very hot water, cover and let sit until all of the water is absorbed and the couscous is tender, approx5 minutes.
Stir together the yogurt, mint and 1 to 2 tablespoons water in another bowl. Season with salt and set aside. *Toss the shrimp, tomatoes, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and paprika together. Spread out on a baking sheet and broil until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Drizzle with the lemon juice. *Fluff the couscous and divide the shrimp and couscous among 4 plates. Scrape any of the drippings from the baking sheet into the yogurt-hummus sauce. Serve the shrimp and couscous with the sauce.
Grilled Fruit with a Honey Yogurt Sauce
- Choose some of your favorite fruit and slice (I prefer pineapples/plums & peaches)
- 1-1/2 cups of plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of Honey
- ½ of a lemon
Heat a grill pan until completely hot
Place fruit on grill cooking both sides until fruit is caramelized
Remove the fruit from the grill and place on dessert plates
Stir together the yogurt, honey and the juice of ½ a lemon
Top the caramelized fruit with yogurt and enjoy!
Lemon Salmon BurgersMakes: 1
- (16 ounce) can salmon, drained and flaked
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green & red peppers
- 1/4 cup whole wheat seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of greek yougurt dip
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch dried basil
- In a medium bowl, mix together the salmon, egg whites, parsley, onion, whole wheat breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of basil, and red pepper flakes. Form into 6 firmly packed patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with non stick spray, add the patties, and cook for 4 minutes per side, or until nicely browned.
- In a small bowl, mix together the greek yogurt dip, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and a pinch of basil. Use as a sauce for your patties.
Nutritional Information Amount Per Serving Calories: 192 | Total Fat: 9.7g | Cholesterol: 103mg
Grilled Chicken BurgersMakes: 8 servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/4 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Hamburger Seasoning
- A dash of Sea Salt for taste
- Black Pepper for taste
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil grate.
- Lightly spray a saute pan with cooking or oil spray over medium heat. Saute the onion with the garlic first, then the bell pepper, then the mushrooms, tomatoes and carrots, all to desired tenderness. Set aside and allow all vegetables to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken and vegetables. Add bread crumbs and seasonings to taste. Mix all together well and form into 8 patties.
- Grill over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or to desired doneness
Lentils & Veggie SoupServes 6
Cook Time 8 hours
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups carrots
- 2 1/2 cups green lentils (cooked)
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 2 onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 6 cups reduced sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2-3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Place potatoes, carrots, lentils, peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, tomatoes and broth in slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 1 hour, add Italian seasoning. Reduce heat to low and cook 7 hours.
- Turn off heat, season with lemon juice.
Very Veggie BurgersServes 4
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter or EVOO cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cup copped onions
- 2 cups of mushrooms
- 1 can of black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1/2 cup bell peppers
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- 3/4 cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of almond milk (to bind)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat, add mushrooms and 1 cup of onion. Cook 15-20 minutes until brown & caramelized.
- Mash beans w fork in mixing bowl until pasty.
- Finely chop peppers, garlic and ½ cup onion and mix into mashed beans.
- Mix milk, salt, chili sauce and bread crumbs into bean mixture until it binds. Add a bit more bread crumb if needed. (Make 4 patties)
- Bake patties on baking sheets in oven for 8 minutes on each side or until firm.